Ostomy Support Group Annual Open Day
This is a Southern Board-wide Service also servicing Daisy Hill Hospital. The Southern Board Ostomy Support Group was established in October 1998 and has held quarterly meetings until 2002 and biannual meetings since then.
An annual open day for patients and their relatives is held yearly to inform patients about support services and new product developments in stoma care.
National voluntary organisations are in attendance as are the commercial companies who manufacture and distribute the ostomy products.
This open day enables patients and relatives to be empowered regarding the products and services they use and can assist them to achieve and maintain a good quality of life following stoma forming surgery.
It also provides mutual support for members of the group by enabling relationships between patients and families to be established and maintained.
The group is facilitated by Mary Jo Thompson and Bernie Trainor. There are currently 200 members of the group and the events are always well attended and well received.
Craigavon Area Hospital
68 Lurgan Road
Mary Jo Thompson / Bernie Trainor
Stoma/Coloproctology Nurse Specialists
Tel: 028 3861 2721
- Working in partnership or collaboration with others
- Quaility of life improvement
Date start: 01 July 1999
Project ongoing: No, the project has concluded.
1. To promote the welfare and care of ostomy patients.
2. To establish and facilitate contacts.
3. To provided social and personal contact with people who share and understand their needs and problems.
4. To liase with established support groups such as ia (Ileostomy and Internal Support Group), CA (Colostomy Association), UA (Urostomy Association and the UCF (Ulster Cancer Foundation).
5. To gain support from other patients who have had surgery and share information.
Has the project been evaluated: No, the project has not been evaluated.
Is an evaluation report available: No, an evaluation report is not available.